By Tom Dinki
School districts across New York state will share an increase of more than $1 billion in aid next school year, which will translate to an overall healthy increase for local districts in Cattaraugus County.
Among the are districts with the highest increases is Ellicottville Central School (6.57 percent) for a roughly $3.6 million total in state aid.
The overall $175 billion state budget agreed to by the state legislature and Gov. Andrew Cuomo Sunday includes $27.9 billion in education funding, which is an increase of $1 billion, or 3.7 percent. The $1 billion increase includes $618 million in foundation aid funding.
While generally displeased with most of the state budget, Assemblyman Joseph Giglio, R-Gowanda, said education spending was one of the few bright spots.
“There’s new spending, increases in foundation aid, and so I think we did well by education,” he told the Olean Times Herald Monday.
When not factoring in building aid, which is dependent on whether districts have ongoing capital projects, school districts in Cattaraugus County will see $179.27 million in non-building aid, a 3.92 percent increase.
Other school districts with substantial increases are Cattaraugus-Little Valley (7.88 percent), Portville (5.45 percent) and Salamanca (5.23 percent), respectively.
The districts with the lowest increases are Hinsdale (0.92 percent), Franklinville (1.85 percent).
Nearby West Valley will see a 3.47 percent increase for a total $4.63 million.
Here are local school districts’ total state aid for next school year and the increase from this school year when not factoring in building aid:
• Allegany-Limestone: $13,845,269, 3.84 percent
• Cattaraugus-Little Valley: $15,984,347, 7.88 percent
• Ellicottville: $3,607,220, 6.57 percent
• Franklinville: $13,088,870, 1.85 percent
• Gowanda: $18,458,525, 2.87 percent
• Hinsdale: $6,971,214, 0.92 percent
• Olean: $23,912,368, 2.76 percent
• Portville: $11,219,829, 5.45 percent
• Randolph: $12,255,661, 4.32 percent
• Salamanca: $20,370,187, 5.23 percent
• Yorkshire-Pioneer: $34,928,247, 3.32 percent
• West Valley: $4,629,251, 3.47 percent